How can I even begin to tell you just how much I love egg rolls? They’re a delicious portable snack and/or appetizer that feed a crowd, but that’s not why I love them so much. The real reason, the main one, is that they’re completely versatile. The egg roll world is your oyster. I think by now I’ve proved time and time again, that you really can egg roll just about anything. Cuban sandwich? Why not! Reuben sandwich? Most definitely. Egg rolls for breakfast? I don’t even have to justify that question with an answer. We all know the correct response to that. And if you’re feeling like plain egg rolls just aren’t enough for you or your glamorous life, why not fill them with taco seasoned ground beef, and then top them with all of the nacho toppings possible? This time around I’m taking the beloved chicken buffalo wing and giving turning them into a different type of crispy fried treat. I’m not into football at all, but I am into football snacks and so since Super Bowl Sunday is coming up this weekend, I think it’s important, no my duty, to share these Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls with you today so that you can add them to your big game day feast.
First thing we want to do is sauté the veggies. In a large pan, melt the butter and then cook the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery until softened, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, and add in the shredded chicken, and sliced scallions.
**Tip: To save some time, feel free to use store-bought rotisserie chicken for this. Just peel the skin, remove from the bone and shred the chicken!**
Add the buffalo sauce, crumbled blue cheese, and season with salt and pepper. Then stir until evenly combined.
**Tip: Give it a taste and adjust the seasoning as needed, adding more salt or pepper if you’d like!**
Let the mixture cool completely before filling and shaping the egg rolls. When ready to fill, place about 2 tablespoons of filling in the center of an egg roll wrapper. Place it like a diamond, with one corner facing you. Bring the left and right corners towards the center, over the filling. Then roll into a tight log, sealing the edge with a bit of cornstarch mixed with water.
Continue to fill and shape the egg rolls, placing them on a baking sheet.
Fill a large pot with oil about halfway up and bring to 350 degrees F. Once hot, carefully drop in a few egg rolls at a time and fry, turning often, until they’re brown and crispy, about 5 minutes.
**Note: Do not overcrowd the pan or else the oil will drop in temperature.**
Garnish the egg rolls with blue cheese crumbles and sliced scallions. Serve the egg rolls with either ranch or blue cheese dressing on the side for dipping and some carrot and celery sticks just like traditional wings!
If you want to make these in advance, you can fill and roll the egg rolls, place them on a baking sheet, and freeze until solid. Transfer to a freezer storage bag and keep them in there until ready to fry. You can keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Once ready to fry, just heat up the oil and fry the egg rolls straight from the freezer. They’ll take a little longer to fry since they’re frozen, but you’ll be good to go in no time and you’ll be so happy with your past self for thinking ahead of time.
These egg rolls are a must this year for your big game day feast. Keep them in the back of your mind for when you don’t want to make traditional chicken wings but still want something fried and crunchy. They’re addictive. Take this as your official warning.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1½ cups shredded chicken
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup buffalo sauce
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- ½ cup ranch or blue cheese dressing
- carrot sticks, for garnish
- celery stick, for garnish
- Set a large pan over medium-high heat with the butter, once melted add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery and cook until softened, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and add the chicken, scallions (saving about 1 tablespoon for garnish), buffalo sauce, blue cheese (saving about 1 tablespoon for garnish) and salt and pepper and mix until well combined.
- To assemble the egg rolls, place one wrapper with a point facing you. Place about 2 tablespoons of filling in the center and form into a log. Bring the pointed sides of the wrapper in towards the filling and then roll into a tight log, sealing the edge with the cornstarch water mixture. Continue these steps until all the egg rolls are formed.
- Fill a large pot with oil about halfway up and bring to 350 degrees F. Once hot, carefully drop in a few egg rolls at a time and fry, turning often, until they’re brown and crispy, about 5 minutes. Do not overcrowd the pan or else the oil will drop in temperature. Drain and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to soak up any excess oil. Serve the egg rolls warm with ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping. Garnish with the reserved scallions and blue cheese crumbles. Enjoy!