Another week done, under our belt completed, so that means it’s time for another Cheers to the Weekend post for our enjoyment. You don’t have any idea that your life is missing a Breakfast Grilled Cheese until someone like me comes around and tells you, “HEY! Stop what you’re doing right this second and make yourself a grilled cheese this weekend!” But this isn’t just any grilled cheese though, this is a grilled cheese you make Saturday morning, after you’ve had one too many drinks Friday night. We’ve all been there, it’s okay. The good news is that this grilled cheese is made up of bread, melted cheese, eggs, and crispy bacon and crumbled sausage, or as I like to call them, breakfast’s vegetables. The perfect sandwich to forget about those drinks from the night before. The great thing about this recipe is that it’s more of a blueprint for you, and once you get the hang of it, it can be customized multiple ways! As long as you have bread, cheese and eggs as the base, the toppings and add-ins are endless.
Let’s start with the eggs for these grilled cheeses. Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and hot sauce until they’re evenly combined.
**Note: You can make these sandwiches with fried eggs if you’d like, but the yolks would have to be fully cooked through because if not, the yolks will break and when you go to assemble the sandwiches and then they’ll get soggy and it’ll be a mess. No bueno.**
Cook the eggs in a non-stick skillet with melted butter, stirring often, until the eggs are a soft scrambled consistency, but not runny. It’ll take about 5 to 8 minutes over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly before assembling the sandwiches.
To assemble the sandwiches, lay out two slices of bread. I used white bread because for me, a grilled cheese is best with white bread. That’s the only time I eat white bread, most of the time, I’m all about that wheat bread, but for this it just doesn’t work for me. Anyhow, back to assembling the sandwiches. Place a slice of cheese on top of each slice.
Top with scrambled eggs. Just mound it on top of that cheese and bread, but make sure to keep it flat and even so that the grilled cheeses aren’t overly stuffed.
Top the eggs with crispy bacon slices or crumbled breakfast turkey sausage or both if you’re like me, and really love breakfast meats and can’t get enough.
**Tip: At this step, you can customize the sandwiches any way you’d like. Try it with chicken sausage or chorizo, or if you want to keep things vegetarian, try it with sautéed onions, peppers, mushrooms or spinach!**
Place another slice of cheese on top and sandwich together with another slice of bread. Then spread the top with softened butter liberally. Heat a griddle or nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, place the grilled cheese, buttered-side down. Spread the other side with softened butter as well. Cook until golden brown and crispy. Flip over and continue to cook until the cheese has melted through and the second side is golden brown and crispy as well.
Cut in half and serve your breakfast grilled cheese with hot sauce or ketchup on the side for dunking and dipping. Store-bought salsa or guacamole would also be great to serve on the side.
If you want to serve this as a complete meal for breakfast (or even for dinner because breakfast for dinner is beyond) then serve the grilled cheeses with roasted breakfast potatoes or fruit if you’re feeling healthy. What you decide to do, just decide to give these sandwiches a try because they’re delicious.
I hope you all are enjoying these Cheers to the Weekend posts, as much as I’m enjoying posting them. If you’ve missed any Friday Cheers to the Weekends then be sure to click here to catch up! I’m working on creating a spot on the site to display them all so that they’re easily accessible to you guys, so stay tuned!
If you make this recipe, along with any other recipe from the site, be sure to snap a picture and share it on Instagram or Facebook and tag me and hashtag it with #CandidAppetite or #TheCandidAppetite. Once you start making these Cheers to the Weekend recipes, be sure to also tag it with #TCAweekend! I’ll be monitoring it all closely and share my favorites throughout! Happy Cooking!
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- couple dashes hot sauce
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 8 slices white bread (or wheat)
- 8 slices Cheddar cheese
- 8 slices crispy bacon
- 1/2 cup browned crumbled breakfast turkey sausage
- hot sauce or ketchup, for serving
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and hot sauce until evenly combined.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once melted, add the whisked eggs and cook, stirring often, until their a soft scrambled consistency, but not runny. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- To assemble the grilled cheese, lay out the bread slices in a single layer. Place a slice of cheese on each slice of bread (top and bottom). Divided the scrambled eggs among 4 slices of bread (the bottoms). Top with either bacon or sausage or both and then sandwich together with the other half of the bread (tops). Spread the outside of the bread with softened butter.
- Heat a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, place the grilled cheese, buttered side down, and spread the opposite side with butter. Cook until golden brown and crispy on the first side, about 2 minutes. Flip over and continue to cook until the cheese is melted through and the second side has browned, about 2 minutes. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches and serve with ketchup or hot sauce on the side. Enjoy!
- Yield: 4 sandwiches